- 3 small red beets, cooked
- 2-3 oranges
- 3-4 cups fennel, chopped (2 large bulbs)
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced on a mandolin (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Good-quality extra-virgin olive
- Coarse sea salt, such as fleur de sel
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place the fennel on a large tray. Layer the sliced onion on top. Drizzle with olive oil; salt and pepper.
- With a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from all oranges; discard and slice the oranges. Save 1/2 of 1 orange and squeeze juice from membranes into bowl, along with lime juice.
- Slice 2 beets crosswise into thin rounds. Layer beets and oranges on top of the fennel, dividing evenly.
- Spoon reserved citrus juices over, then drizzle salad generously with more oil. Season to taste with coarse sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish salad with cilantro leaves; serve!