In 1875, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children took on the task of caring for the needs of children born to nearby mill and factory workers. In the horse-drawn trolley days, it opened the doors of its one-room dispensary in brilliantly democratic fashion; providing medical care to children regardless of race, religion, national origin, or economic status. What mattered then is what has always mattered at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children; that children be given access to the best possible care. That they be meticulously tended, strengthened, and, whenever medically possible, returned to their families whole.
By 1998, the seeds were planted for another kind of extraordinary care with the creation of St. Christopher’s Foundation for Children. Committed to supporting programs that address the health and well-being of children in the community served by St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, SCFC has taken especially significant strides in recent years. Through programs such as the Community Oral Health Initiatives and Farm to Families, SCFC has catalyzed impact in critically important children’s health issues.